Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Dedication Page

Because my dogs are such an intricate part of my trips (I would never leave for a trip without them) I dedicate my trips and their blogs to dogs of friends who have died since the last trip, and to friends who had some connection with my dogs or dogs generally. So, I am dedicating this trip to:

Henry...One of the joys I got from visiting my dear freind Jake Stein, who died two years ago, was visiting with his marvelous dog, Henry, and seeing the joy Jake got from him.  Hnery died two days before this trip started, and so he goes right here on top of the dedicvaiton page, which is exactly where he was in Jake's life, at the top.  What a good dog, he was. I miss them both.




Paul Volcker.….For Paul Volcker's entire time at the Federal Reserve, my office was directly across from his  From time to time, when I would take Montag, my first dog, to work with me on weekends,  Paul's assistant, Catherine, would come over to take Montag into Paul's office so he could spend a few minutes with him. After he left the Fed, the few times I ran into Paul, the first thing he would always ask was about my dogs.  

Sam Watson....  for more than a decade, on Saturdays and Sundays at Dean and Deluca in Washington, I would join Sam along with others to talk about anything that was on our minds.  Sam, himself the proud owner of dogs, always showed special kindness to my dogs.  Sam died in December, just nine months after another regular in that coffee group, the formidable attorney Jake Stein, himself a consummate dog lover, and the favorite fan of my road trips, died.

Zambie…I just learned of the recent death of Zambie, the 12-year old family-matriarch of the K family, friends of mine. I only met Zambie once,  when she was just a pup, but what a beautiful pup she was.  Zambie died nine months after she was struck with cancer.  But just as I wrote in the Washington Post about Leben, Zambie is no dog to feel sorry for.  Knowing the K family as I do, I am sure she was showered with all the love and attention any dog – perhaps person – could ever hope for.  While it is still quite  sad that she is no longer ruling over the K family, it is comforting to know that she had a good life, which every dog deserves.


Sadly, there may be more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment