Friday, August 20, 2021

Note to anyone following this blog

You will see a lot of things you do not recognize as my usual propound posts.  That’s because the OTR-11 has not yet started. What you see are scraps of notes that I may wish to access on my blog while I am on the journey. Right now, I am going through the 379-page Mullen book (The Donner Party Chronicles) page by page, and Donner day by Donner day, extracting information on sites to visit, routes to take, camps to pitch my tent in, etc. I am quickly coming to the conclusion that with the 11 days I have allow voted to get from Springfield IL top Donner Lake, there is no way that I can stop at every Donner site, considering it took the hapless Donner party from April 15th to November 3rd (202 days) to make that same journey.  So, I will plan the route I take by sites I need to stop at, and as I drive along the roads and trials, imagine what took place along that route 175 years ago.

 

 

                                                         

1 comment:

  1. 1859 miles divided by 200 (miles per day) equals 10 days plus one just in case I get a late start or something. As for the route, “because it is there.”

    I had never heard of the Donner Party until I got Donner, when people would ask me if he was any relation. Theirs is an interesting story, albeit sad. Going that route gets me back to a number of camps I would like to visit again. I was hoping to head up to the Yukon if Canada opened up, but when it did, I discovered my passport had expired.

    ReplyDelete