Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Fay 5, Coopers Rock State Park West Virginia

OTR Eleven may have been interrupted, but it has ended. It will continue in some form as soon as I deal with Donner"s situation and get it under control, and I will take that trip along the Donner party trail at some point. The silver lining in this is that it will Force me to assess the situation with how I take these trips. The trips have always been difficult, long days of driving and the work to set up camp and break camp. But it seems that this year trip the difficulties were compounded by almost a year and a half of relative inactivity compared to what I had been used to doing for my entire adult life.

We are camped for the evening at Coopers Rock State Park in West Virginia, where we started both OTR nine and 10. We will stay here for one night and move on home tomorrow.

Today was not a particularly good day. It rained in the morning and although nothing got wet in breaking except the tent, it was still a bear of a time breaking camp. And then leaving camp my GPS took me on some circuitous back country route over 20 miles of deserted dirt and one-lame roads to get to the exit for the Salt Fork State Park. It was quite an adventure.

Donner is rapidly learning how to accommodate his disability. and his spirit has somewhat picked up. I am glad I did not decide to continue with the trip for another day or so because looking at where he is today I might have continued with the trip, which would not have been good.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you both got to enjoy the open road and fresh air the past couple of days! It's good for the mind and soul.

    ReplyDelete