Saturday, September 25, 2021

In search of a solution

After every trip, or part thereof, I try to figure out how to make life easier on the road with the Defender. Below is the possible solution to the task of transporting Donner’s wheelchair and stroller.

 

When Donner’s wheelchair arrives, I will transport it as I did Leben’s, lashed to my ladder in the left rear (see photo --- yes, that’s Denali)), with the wheels securely lashed to avoid what happened when I crossed from the Yukon into Alaska in 2013.  The ladder that I use to get access to the roof rack front, which I now transport lashed to the rear ladder, I will lash to the front of the roof rack.  But what about his stroller?

 

 

Donner’s stroller (see below, although he has a new red one on order) comes apart in five pieces. The cab folds up and fits nicely in the roof rack; the handlebar fits nicely in back of my seat; the front wheel and fitting fits nicely in the trash can in the rear; but the wheels have to be lashed to the grille over each of the side rear windows, and are a pain to get to and take up valuable space in the rear.

 

So, in search of a solution to transporting the wheels for quick access, here is what I came up with. I don’t have the dimensions of the bag yet but if the Defender tire (see below) is like mine (30”), the opening of the bag I calculated as 23.4”.  The strollers tires are 19”.   Lashed together they are 20.5 inches and 9” deep.  Each tire would be strapped to a side strap and the center strap.   As for the depth, lashed together they are 9” deep.  The tire is 9” wide and if the width of the canvass hood (se right photo) on the tire is the same width as the depth of the bag, or even slightly less, the two tires lash together would fit in the bag, especially since the canvass bag probable stretches in the center, where the largest depth of the two tires would fit.

 

So, it looks like I may have a solution to carrying the tires to Donner’s stroller instead of tying them down to the grille on the windows.

 

There is a solution to every problem worth solving, and this one is.

 

I email the UK for the dimensions. If the width is less than 21 inches or depth less than 9, it’s back to the drawing board.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment