Thursday, September 16, 2021

Made it

Tough fit, but all 11 bags made it into the Wardrobe, on the right, and the Linen Bag, on the left, or is it the other way around?

 

Packing these bags in one thing.  The tougher part is securing them to the roof rack. On OTR-1, after driving from Anchorage to get to my camp on the Alaskan Highway, about 220 miles away, after arriving at camp, when I climbed up onto the roof rack in a drizzle, I discovered that my Wardrobe bag had blown off somewhere along that way. I was not about to drive back to find it, not only  becasue of time (I had to catch a ferry in Juneau, but becasue I had learned that stuff on the road does not remain there long in Alaska. I bought what I needed along the way home.  But that wasn’t the only surprise that night. About 50 feet from the entrance to the camp, I ran out of  gas. I had to pull off to the side of the road and  use my extra 5-gallon gas can.  I knew I was low on gas, but was hoping to make it to the camp to use my extra gas (I miscalculated how many miles I would go the gallon in Alaska.) . A similar thing happened in Manitoba the next year, when I ran out of gas a mile from a gas station. I have never run out again, although I have used that extra gas jerry can many times.  I also had installed four years ago an auxiliary 8-gallon gas tank, so now I can get 345 miles to a tank, plus an extra 75 with the jerry can, or 420 miles. On the Dempster and Dalton Highways in the Yukon and Alaska, there are stretches where gas stations are about 250 miles apart. Same in Labrador. (In Labrador, they loan out to drivers on the Trans-Labrador Highway satellite phones.) When the Defender broke down on the AlCan in 2016, while the closest gas station was a short 50 miles away, the closest garage was 220 miles in Whitehorse, Yukon. We had to wait on the highway for two days, sharing it with grizzlies, while I waited to be towed there.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment