Friday, September 10, 2021

Making progress

Despite interruptions, progress is being made, slowly.  Tonight I set up the nine Daily Food Boxes (DFRB) and charge everything that needs charging. Somehow, I have got to rationalize how I go about charging.  Goal first is to make sense of my home charging center, below. This pretty much replicates what the Defender will look like every day. Sometimes I was charging seven devises at the same time. Only once did the overload cause one of the cables to start frying, just as  was taking Donner to vet hospital in Flagstaff Arizona when he got terribly sick at the Grand Canyon.

 

Fortunately, I am no longer taking cameras since I finally bought a iPhone.  And I am taking two of those NOCO super chargers (on left in photo).  After bears breaking into my vehicle (as happened in Tahoe in 2014, as Erde slept peacefully in the tent), I hate running out of power. Quite a change from OTR-1 in 2000 with Sonntag when I had nothing that needed charging. I did not even have a  cell phone or laptop and had to stop off at public libraires to call the National Geographic photographer who came with me to give up updates on my progress to Alaska and check my email. My, how times have changed.

 

 

As of now, there are only two show-stoppers still clouding our departure. Donner’s rear right leg took a turn for the worse (or maybe worst)  last week.  I have been talking him swimming, and that helps.  I will also not try to get on the road on Sunday so I can take him swimming once more. The swimming helps unpinch the inflammation that is impinging on his spinal cord. I can manage him on the road better than at home, and I will order his wheelchair from the road if his walking deteriorates much further. 

 

The only other potential show-stopper is a pending lawsuit that our condo was hit with. I happily turned over the presidency to a very capable young woman, and so the matter will be in good hands without me. However, if they ask me to return to deal with the matter, I will. But since it will be beyond my duties on the Board as an unpaid volunteer, it is going to be very, very expensive for the Condominium to hire me to manage that case for them.

 

Ed and Donner from Base Camp (DC)

No comments:

Post a Comment